Friday, January 9, 2015

WELL DONE.


Well done
Well done
Good and faithful servant, well done
When I see His blessed face
All I wanna hear Him say
Is “Well done.”




Andrae Crouch passed from this life on January 8, 2015. I knew that he had experienced many health challenges and was in serious condition. But when I received a text from my brother letting me know that Andrae had passed, it hit me a lot harder than I expected. My mind went back to the early ‘70s and so many memories flooded my heart. As I just sat on the couch in our family room, watching YouTube videos of Andrae until the wee hours of the morning, I shed a lot of tears as I realized just how much positive influence this man had on my life, especially during my formative years. We sang his songs in my Dad’s little Assembly of God church in Phenix City, Alabama. I mimicked his piano playing the best I could. My brothers and I recorded Soon and Very Soon on our first custom recording project (released on vinyl, cassettes, and 8-tracks!) in 1978. And we probably sang All That I Have a thousand times as our family crisscrossed the country in evangelistic ministry from 1977 to 1983 (and recorded that song as well). But it went deeper than that. Andrae had a joy, an anointing of the Holy Spirit that was contagious. His ministry allowed us to see and understand that there was more to music than just notes on a page. He was teaching by example.

I could go on and on about the life and ministry of Andrae Crouch. But there will be more Andrae albums appearing later on this list, and I can save my words for those posts! Instead, I’d like to share thoughts and remembrances (collected from social media) from those who knew him best and loved him the most. These comments come from fellow artists who run the gamut from Jesus Music to jazz to CCM to Christian comedy to alternative rock, illustrating the fact that his influence ran deep and wide. But we’ll start with those who actually spent time as members of Andrae Crouch and the Disciples.

Enjoy.




Yesterday, my friend and mentor, Andrae Crouch, went home to be with the Lord. The most exciting time of ministry was when I was in the "Disciples." I met Andrae in 1963 when I moved from Mermentau, Louisiana to Los Angeles, California. He was already firmly established in popularity and notoriety. He heard me sing in a choir and said to me, "If I ever get a male group, I want you to sing with me." At that time, he had a mixed group called The COGICs. I owe whatever success I had in the ministry to the blood of Jesus, my Mother's and Father's upbringing, and the mentoring of Andrae and Sandra Crouch. Andrae was truly a musical genius. I was encouraged to write by Andrae. My time with The Imperials, Andrus Blackwood & Company, and currently with Andrus and Bingle would not have been possible without the musical and ministry influences of  Andrae Crouch. Winnie and I will miss you 'til we are together again. Right now you are with your Godson, Sherman Andrus, Jr., in the presence of God.

Sherman Andrus
Andrae Crouch & the Disciples • The Imperials • Andrus, Blackwood & Co.



Today my twin brother, womb-mate and best friend went home to be with the Lord. Please keep me, my family and our church family in your prayers. I tried to keep him here, but God loved him best.



Sandra Crouch
Andrae Crouch & the Disciples 



I have been at the hospital with Sandra and the original Disciple Perry Morgan almost every day since Andrae was admitted on January 3rd. There was an overwhelming presence of God's peace that sustained us throughout these difficult six days.

In 1971 Kenneth Copeland told Andrae' about these four talented night club musicians in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma who were playing at revival meetings at a mission called "The Open Door."


When Andrae Crouch and the Disciples performed in Oklahoma City we were told that he wanted to meet us and hear us play. The members of our band were Harlan Rogers, Fletch Wiley, Hadley Hockensmith, and myself. After that night Andrae phoned me numerous times about joining his group. We finally said yes in July of 1972.


Andrae' is the one who told me that I had the talent to be a record producer and gave me my first producer's credit on Take Me Back. He saw something in me that I did not know existed. Andrae' got me started in movies ("The Color Purple") and in television ("Amen"). The list goes on and the debt is unpayable.


During Andrae's final moments here on earth, his sister Sandra and I called Kenneth Copeland on my smartphone and held it to Andrae's ear. Andrae responded physically when Ken was praying and God's presence filled the hospital room. Within the hour at around 4:20 PM Andrae left us for his reward.


All I can say is that I will always love you, Andrae, and "well done, good and faithful servant." I will be your sister's brother now.


Bill Maxwell
Sonlight • Andrae Crouch & the Disciples • Koinonia




Sad to hear of the death of Andrae Crouch. Andrae had a profound impact on Gospel music and his songs live on. His influence helped many in their musical careers including mine. You will be missed, Andrae. I would ask for your prayers for Sandra Crouch and all of Andrae's family, and also for Perry Morgan, Bili Thedford, and Bill Maxwell. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." Psalm 116:15

Harlan Rogers
Sonlight • Andrae Crouch & the Disciples • Koinonia




Now I know why I couldn't sleep last night. My friend of fifty-seven years was trying to tell me farewell. RIP Andrae Crouch. Your life and music changed history's course for the world. I will always cherish the memories that we shared. A friend closer than a brother that will be missed and always loved. There are no words to express what I'm feeling. Rest in God's Peace, Sweet Prince.

Bili Thedford
Andrae Crouch & the Disciples



What can I say? There was life before Andrae Crouch, and then our lives after we met him. He was a pivotal figure for Kathryn Wiley and I in our early walk with Jesus, and even for the last 38 years when we weren't geographically close. There are so many words I could say about Andrae; he was generous, kind, funny, but he could be intense when he needed to be. He captivated audiences around the world by proclaiming Jesus as the Son of God, through the gift of music that God had given him. To be a part of that, to SEE the grace of God move in concerts around the world, was life-changing. To God Be the Glory! Prayers for Sandra Crouch and the church family in LA. OK, Andrae, it's your turn to pray for us now. We love you!

Fletch Wiley
Sonlight • Andrae Crouch & the Disciples • Koinonia




Deeply saddened but eternally grateful for the privilege of knowing, recording, performing, singing his anointed songs, praying backstage, sharing meals & laughter....precious moments in our lives with this amazing, iconic and humble man of God! There will never be another like him! Andrae' touched the world! "To God be the glory!" Prayers for Sandra and family and all those many Disciples! RIP dear brother!

Steve Archer
The Archers



Lord, thank You for the music and ministry of Andrae Crouch. I know You will enjoy him in Heaven as we have here on earth!

I remember doing some concerts and festivals with him back when I was getting started in Christian music in the mid-'70s. At one festival there was no room in the audience for me to see him so Andrae said, "Come sit with me on stage!" So there I was on stage, sitting partly under his keyboard. I think I can still hear that monitor ringing in my ears! See you later, dear brother! 

Scott Wesley Brown



The man whose songs created the contemporary Christian music movement, the man who inspired a generation to first shout, "I love Jesus, yes I do, I love Jesus, how about you?" and the man who brought me to Christ 29 years ago, has left his body to be with the Lord that he sang about so effectively for 50 years. My heart is broken tonight in 1,000 pieces. I was just with him a month ago, laughing, joking, prophesying over each other and listening to each others' songs.

Over a year ago I had refused to go into chemotherapy treatment for cancer. I accepted that it was my time to go and was ready. Then Andrae called me. It had been 6 months since I was diagnosed and I had no emotion about it. Never cried, never complained to God, never got mad. I was just numb. Then Andrae asked me in that gravelly voice of his, "How's your faith, my son?" And of all people in this world he was the only one who could reach back 30 years, look deep into my spirit like the first day he birthed me into the Kingdom and bring out the honesty in me. I told him, "Andrae, Jesus blood may have never lost its power but I think mine just did." He laughed. I said, "I'm hurt. I don't know why God would have me exit this life in such a brutal fashion." Then he just said, "Let me pray for you," and as he began to pray I felt the anointing fill the car I was driving and I broke down for the first time since I was told I was going to die 6 months earlier. I had to pull my car over because I couldn't see through my tears. Andrae convinced me there was more for me to do and I decided right then to go into treatment, get healthy again and run into the next chapter of my life. I'm alive today because my father in the faith, as he did in 1976, put my life back on track again. 

Carman 

Last night (Jan 8th) one of my biggest musical influences, Andraé Crouch, went home to be with Jesus.  Songs like Through It All, Soon And Very Soon, I Don't Know Why, Jesus Is The Answer, and My Tribute are just a few of his songs that helped shape my understanding of the power of music, especially when it's being written and played for the glory of God. I'm praying for his family and friends as they grieve and ask you to join me. I'm so thankful that they can grieve with the hope and assurance that "It Won't Be Long" and we'll be going home to see the King and worship with Andraé again! To God Be The Glory...now & forever!

Steven Curtis Chapman



Saddened by the news of my friend, fellow CCM pioneer, and warrior for Jesus, Andrae Crouch, passing away tonight. I'll always remember the early days of concerts and Jesus festivals together.... when he added Hadley, Harlan and Bill to The Disciples, it was all in the family. "Soon and VERY soon we are going to see THE KING! Cheers, for a short season... Love you, Andrae! 

Paul Clark


I am heartbroken at the news of the passing of our family's old and dear friend, Andrae Crouch. When I was about 12, my dad, Jimmy Owens arranged and helped produce the first Andrae Crouch and the Disciples album. Andrae was frequently in our home in those days. I even remember one time when he and my mother were dancing the tango on our front lawn for the benefit of a nosy, very white neighbor. Andrae's music and ministry were always an inspiration to me as a kid. We were record label mates for several years in the '70s and sang for the same events and projects many times. Andrae was one of the most generous people I have ever known, always featuring others in his projects and providing for people when they needed a hand. Dan and I were married in Andrae's backyard. So many memories and lots of gratitude in my heart tonight. I really am happy for him, just a sad loss for us here right now. Praying for dear Sandra as well as Andrae's church and music families. To God Be the Glory...

Jamie Owens Collins 


The world has lost a gospel legend & The Archers have lost a friend, who helped us in our music ministry journey. Andrae Crouch... now in the arms of the One he wrote and sang about! Thanks so much, JESUS for sharing him with all of us! RIP

Janice Archer Cruse
The Archers
 


Andraé Crouch died yesterday, at the age of 72, but his songs will continue touching people for years to come. I was influenced by his music, ministry, and work. I'll be praying for his family. I was fortunate to sing on Andraé's tribute album and visit with him a few times. I'll never forget him. Let's remember his songs. And a man that changed the face of Christian music.

Bryan Duncan
Sweet Comfort Band
 


Yesterday, late afternoon, my friend and brother Andrae Crouch passed peacefully into the presence of the Lord. He finally made it -- he will see his father and mother, and his brother. I feel great sadness, but it's just for myself and all the people who will truly miss him. He was an incredible inspiration to me and a whole lot of musicians of all kinds, colors, and ages. Soon and very soon, we will also see the King! Andrae will definitely continue to be a blessing to our dying world.

Fred Field
Love Song • Wing & A Prayer



Andrae was a "one of a kind singer/songwriter." He will be greatly missed. He had a child-like quality to his personality which never diminished throughout the decades. His songs and recordings will go on indefinitely. I'm certain that we will see this man in Heaven singing and worshiping God.

Oden Fong
Mustard Seed Faith



Now directing a heavenly choir. RIP, Andrae Crouch.

Steve Geyer 





Andrae's music was such an encouragement and brought so much pleasure to me. His legacy will live on down the ages.

Bryn Haworth 




Heaven's choir just kicked it up a notch! Andrae Crouch arrived yesterday. What an impact he had on the world through his anointed songs. 

Nancy Honeytree



Grateful for the Christ-exalting musical influence of Andrae Crouch whose “soon and very soon” is now.

Bob Kauflin
GLAD




Wow. Such a legend. He will be missed.

Jon Knox
Adam Again • White Heart





Andrae Crouch was truly one of our leaders in Christian music for so many years. He will be missed. I had the honor of being in a few concerts with him over the years. He was so anointed and did it with such ease. What a great songwriter, too. Thank you, God, for his legacy. May the Holy Spirit comfort his sister Sandra and the rest of the family.

Karen Lafferty


In 1977 I received a phone call from Andrae Crouch. The offer came for me to play drums on a tour for him, as Bill Maxwell was unable to do so, due to deadlines on Keith Green's first album. What an incredible thrill it was to play behind a man that was SO GIFTED, SO GENEROUS, and SO KIND to me. Thank you, Andrae! I'll bet you are the only one surprised to find Heaven's choirs singing YOUR songs!

Alex MacDougall
Daniel Amos



...It was such a blessing being in Norway with Andrae. That was the last time I saw him. I have many great stories and quotes about our precious brother. 

We are gonna miss him so. I sing Soon and Very Soon at every one of my performances at the end of Stand By Me, and now Andrae is with his King and our King, and that song now is even MORE powerful.


I asked Andrae once, "Hey, how many Grammy awards have you won?" And he said, "Darrell, I don't know, man, but you know those trophies aren't even gold or even gold plated, man! Next time I get a Grammy, I'm gonna say, 'Give me the gold and give God the glory,' 'cause God don't need the gold and I don't need the glory!"

Well, precious brother, you got something much better than a Grammy this time. Receive your REWARD now in Heaven!


Darrell Mansfield


Andrae Crouch was very instrumental in the development of my love for music in the church. I first saw him in concert when I was in 6th grade...I was amazed. His song Jesus Is The Answer became my favorite, and was one of the first songs I ever performed as a young teen...learning it on piano and then singing it while playing. Later in my life, I had the privilege of singing on a recording with Andrae...what a blessing. I am saddened by this news, but know the choir in Heaven is singing in a new way with the addition of this amazing man.

Michael James Murphy


The beautiful Andrae Crouch rests in the arms of Jesus now. I had the rare privilege of touring with him in the 70s with Erick Nelson. Andrae loved Erick as a man and writer. One night Andrae made us deep-fried chicken in his hotel room. The whole place smelled like grease and Tabasco. It was the best chicken I've ever had! What a joy to watch God work through him night after night and as a young woman, and someone just called to the ministry, I learned SO much from both he and Erick about what real ministry looks like. Thank you, Andrae, for leading so many to Jesus and loving Him the way you did. Sing to the heavens a new song, my friend.

Michele Pillar


R.I.P. Andraé Crouch. I got to open for him and the Disciples a few times with my first band when I was only 15 years old. That left a very big impression upon me and has influenced my journey ever since. What a loss.

Michael Roe
The 77s • Lost Dogs



Truly a legend, as well as a wonderful, talented man, Andrae Crouch has gone to be with the Lord. I did concerts with Andrae and his songs of worship were powerful.

Dan Rupple
Isaac Air Freight



One of the greatest compliments in the entire history of my career was the night Andrae' Crouch marched up to me after a concert we had done in San Diego, California (sometime in the mid-80s). He sounded almost urgent as he got "all up in my grill" and exclaimed "Man, you got to do a live album! Those people love you!"

On January 8th, Andrae' joined the long heavenly parade of brothers and fellow musicians that I've had to say good-bye to over the past several years. I didn't know him well, but count him as a friend, because he was always gracious and candid with me. We first met around 1971 at the Wayne Coombs Agency in Hollywood. Wayne's company handled concert bookings for Christian artists and Larry Norman and I were considering them for possible representation. I'm not sure exactly why Andrae' was there that evening...perhaps as an example of what the agency was doing with new, upcoming talent. But the vision is etched in my memory; here was this handsome young man in a bright red sweater, with a bright shining smile. He just exuded confidence and Godly joy. I thought to myself, "Boy, this guy is sure going somewhere great!"

Throughout the years, our paths crossed from time to time along the concert trail. I'll always treasure the rare gift of sharing a dressing room with him when we were co-billed in Valencia, CA. We did four shows a day for a full week at the Magic Mountain Theme Park. He'd come off stage and grab a towel to wipe the perspiration from his face and chest. As we'd sit together backstage, he'd start speaking, almost in "stream of consciousness" mode, pontificating about life and performance philosophy. I sensed that I was in the presence of greatness and eagerly gleaned as much as I could from the little gems of his hard-won wisdom.

In 2013, I signed on as part of the One Way Experience Tour. We were planning to play 36 cities throughout that year. I was delighted when I saw Andrae's name on the roster. I thought, "I'd do this tour just for the backstage laughter and road stories alone!" The tour coordinators had heart and vision, but they weren't quite able to pull all of the essential elements together. That May, much to everyone's disappointment, the tour was postponed indefinitely.

I saw Andrae for the last time at a dinner party in Nashville. We'd all gathered with the tour team to pray and celebrate the upcoming ministry adventure. I had heard that Andrae' was struggling with health issues and, though he looked frail, he still had the unmistakable Light of the Spirit in his eyes. That night, as he was leaving, I stopped him at the restaurant door and we stood together for a quick picture. I'm so glad I did. I had no idea that it would be our last.

So long, for now, my friend. We'll sing to the Lord together again someday. I love you, Andrae.

Randy Stonehill


Let me "join the chorus" of praying for Andrae and his family as he departed this life to be with Jesus today. I only worked with him once at a Mercy Corps fundraiser. He was a soft-spoken gentleman who loved Jesus with his whole heart and soul. He left a beautiful impression on me in Christ. He wrote Soon and Very Soon ("...We are going to see the King..."). Andrae's wait is over. He is now beholding the glory of God's love. We will miss you, Andrae! You were a gift from God in our midst. We will join you in Jesus, "soon, and very soon."

John Michael Talbot


Andre Crouch has gone to be with Christ. I was honored to have many backstage conversations with this gifted man, as well as a few treasured memories of visiting him at home. He was a legend even back in the 70s, so I'm sure his musical legacy will continue to be appreciated...well, for an eternity! Talented, sweet man!

Randy Thomas
Sweet Comfort Band • Allies



Welcome home, my friend. Your reward awaits you in Glory.

Mike Warnke








We have come from every nation,
God knows each of us by name.
Jesus took His blood and He washed our sins,
And He washed them all away.
Yes, there are some of us,
Who have laid down our lives,
But we all shall live again,
On the other side.



Well done, friend. Well done indeed.



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. He was truly a giant and a game-changer. And the anointing on his life certainly was not wasted. He'll be missed very much.

      Delete