Tuesday, January 6, 2015

#66 HEAVEN AIN'T ALL THERE IS by the Pat Terry Group (1979)

HEAVEN AIN'T ALL THERE IS - Pat Terry Group
Chrism - R-7817
In late 2003 I caught wind of a very special event being planned for early the following year. Rumor had it that the Pat Terry Group was going to reunite for a benefit concert at a church on the north side of Atlanta. Proceeds from the ticket sales would benefit a friend of theirs who was experiencing health challenges. Turned out the rumors were true. I explained to my wife – who came to the Lord in her late twenties and didn’t know Pat Terry from Pat Sajak – that we simply had to be there. 

We made the three-hour drive to Marietta, Georgia, checked into our hotel room, and found the church. At the appointed time Pat Terry, Randy Bugg, and Sonny Lallerstedt strolled onto the stage and took their seats on three stools (just as they had so often in the 1970s). They had remained out of the public eye for most of the preceding decade or two, and I don’t know that I would’ve recognized them had I bumped into them on the street. But when they picked up their instruments and began to play…oh, my.  

Pat was asked about that concert in a 2008 interview. “To be honest with you, we were better than we were in the ‘70s,” he answered. “Less hair, but better players and a better sound system.” For the next two hours, I was reminded of what had made the Pat Terry Group so meaningful and influential to me as a Pentecostal preacher’s kid growing up in south Alabama. At one point I looked at my wife and said, “I just can’t stop smiling.” 



L-R: Randy Bugg, Bob Farrell, Pat Terry,
Radio DJ Paul Logsdon, and Sonny Lallerstedt



Pat Terry played in rock and roll bands throughout high school. After surrendering his life to Jesus, Pat met Sonny Lallerstedt and Randy Bugg, who had previously been traveling with a group called Dove. The trio really hit it off and became like brothers, playing together at Pat’s concerts. The decision to form a band was made, and since Pat had already developed somewhat of a following in the southeastern U.S., they decided to call the band The Pat Terry Group. Pat has said that the entity really was a band, not just a solo artist with two sidemen. They were signed to Myrrh Records and spent the next several years delighting lovers of Jesus Music with now-classic songs like I Can’t Wait, That’s the Way, When the Lord Comes Back, Meet Me Here, Home Where I Belong, What Good’s It Gonna Do Ya, and so many more. Smyrna, Georgia became the unofficial home office of the Jesus Movement in the Deep South. Pat Terry has described this period as an exciting time and remembers feeling very “mission-oriented” concerning his music in those early days. By the time they released Heaven Ain’t All There Is in 1979, the Pat Terry Group’s place as an influential, well-loved Jesus Music band had long been secured.

I recently had a chance to catch up with Pat and asked him to share some of his thoughts on the band’s 1979 release on Chrism Records.






“Through the years a lot of friends and PTG fans have told me their favorite album is Songs of The South, and I have lots of great memories about making that album,” recalls Pat. “For me, I probably couldn’t choose a favorite, but Heaven Ain’t All There Is would be right up there.  It was a special record for us, as it was the first one we produced on our own, and in a studio that we put together ourselves.  Eventually, Twelve Oaks Studios eclipsed its modest beginnings and became a really well-equipped room that Sonny Lallerstedt and Randy Bugg owned and ran for many years after our group disbanded. It still exists today under Randy’s ownership. But at the time of this album, it was a very small room (Sonny’s garage actually), with some basic analog gear and the blessing of Jesse Peterson, the president of our record label, Chrism, which was a division of Tempo Records.” 

Side One kicks off with a country rock track called I Wanna Put My Armor On, encouraging believers to get off the sidelines and get into the game, so to speak.  

I wanna put my armor on
I wanna stand in battle and sing my Savior’s song
Seems like I’ve been sitting on my circumstance too long 

This song features some gritty lead guitar work and was later covered by the Gaither Vocal Band. 

The title track is up next, and it’s an indication that there’s something a little different stirring within the group.

“Some of my favorite PTG songs are on this album, including the title cut, Heaven Ain’t All There Is,” says Pat Terry. “Today I cringe a little over some of my songs from that early Jesus Music era because I hear both my inexperience as a writer and my naiveté as a young believer. I think ‘Heaven’ though, still holds up. It certainly reveals where my heart was at the time and was a precursor to some of the ideas I wrote about when I did my three solo albums with Mark Heard producing a few years later.” 

Andrae Crouch’s 1973 song If Heaven Never Was Promised To Me spoke of how living a Christian life was worthwhile even without the promise of eternal life in Heaven. Pat’s song takes a similar stance, but with a nuanced difference. In this song, Pat is saying that while we can be confident of Heaven as a result of our faith in Christ, we also need to be paying attention to all that’s going on here on earth. The old saying, “You’re so heavenly minded, you’re no earthly good” also comes to mind. 




Three-part vocal harmony and a funky electric piano accentuate lyrics like these: 

Yesterday I found myself a-thinkin’
‘Bout the way that heaven’s gonna be
Though it’s hard to think of much that’s grander
I know that God has so much more for me 

Heaven ain’t all there is
Faith is a ship on a rolling sea
Takin’ us places we’ve never been before
The sooner we leave the shore
The bigger the blessing we receive
The closer we get to unlocking the Kingdom’s doors 

The song’s second verse echoes the sentiment expressed in I Wanna Put My Armor On, challenging Christians who are content to sleepwalk through this life while dreaming of the next: 

I’ve often said that I just can’t understand it
How a man’s content to warm the pew
And though I wait in sweet anticipation
Doesn’t mean that there ain’t a lot to do 

The tempo slows quite a bit on Day By Day Lullabye. It’s a gentle, acoustic ballad that is reminiscent of earlier PTG offerings. 

Sonny Lallerstedt takes the lead vocal on Walk It On Your Own. This one features a good, old-fashioned, analog synthesizer solo and exhorts the listener to remain steadfast in his faith even if he has to go it alone. 

If you are honest with yourself
You can’t leave well enough alone
You’ll have to find a path of Truth
You’ll have to walk it on your own
If you are hungry for the right
You’ll have to disregard the wrong
You’ll have to choose your path
And walk it on your own 





Side One ends with a quiet ballad called Alone At Last. Lyrically, this is another song that begins to move away from the tone of Pat’s early Jesus Music songs by acknowledging the writer’s faults and fears. Lines like “I close my eyes and feel Your warmth in a world as cold as ice,” “It’s a hard thing to walk between the waters You have parted,” and “Forgive me all the times I haven’t known You” foreshadow Pat’s later solo material. But there’s also a sweet tenderness to Alone At Last; it really is a heartfelt prayer set to music. And it almost has a hymn-like quality in places. It’s a nice way to close out the album’s first side. 

Side Two begins with one of the record’s standout tracks. Music, lyrics, and vocals…this one is just a real treat from start to finish.

“I especially like Sonny’s guitar playing on Written in the Book of Life,” says Pat Terry. “I can hear the influence of the Atlanta Rhythm Section in that cut.  Living in the Atlanta area, we were all aware of the sounds that band was coming up with across town.”

The only thing wrong with Written in the Book of Life was the song’s length (it clocked in at just 2:24). 

The PTG ventured into the blues with a novelty song called Feet. This one applauds those people who have an evangelistic zeal. I’m guessing that it was inspired by Isaiah 52:7. Turns out it’s not one of Pat Terry’s favorites in hindsight (although it does contain some very enjoyable, bluesy guitar riffs). 

Next up is a rhythmic acoustic number called I Belong to You. It’s another prayer of sorts, with lyrics directed to the Lord, celebrating His goodness and faithfulness. 



Pat Terry tunes his guitar as Paul Clark looks on



The next track has been a personal favorite of mine for many years. It’s an acoustic ballad that has that trademark Pat Terry Group sound. But the lyrics are what makes this track really special: 

I have always wondered why You do the things You do
It’s more than I have done
And less than what’s to come
I have held this wonder since the days when I was young
The reason why You do the things You do 

I have always loved the way You showed Yourself to me
A loved one’s last goodbye
A sleeping baby’s sigh
It’s almost like you’ve given such a casual reply
To tell me why You do the things You do 

This, again, was a different animal than a lot of the early Jesus Music. The music coming out of the Jesus Movement in the early 70s was basically, “I found Jesus, I’m so happy, all my problems are gone, and He’s coming back.” So for Pat to begin a song with the statement “I have always wondered why You do the things You do”…well, let’s just say we were heading into deeper waters together. 

I have pondered long the reason for my song
And why You chose to give me eyes to see
Excuse my frail demands and help me understand
That love is all the reason that You need 

I’m waiting for the day I’ll see the world Your way
And love is all the reason I will need 

Wow. It’s just a beautiful, powerful song. Pat Terry has said that he often closes his solo concerts with that song to this very day. 





Heaven Ain’t All There Is wraps up with another ballad titled Enduring Love. Pat says that this song was his one and only attempt at writing something hymn-like.

“A few years earlier, we had visited Baylor University and they had a display there of original manuscripts of some well-known hymns that had made a real impression on me,” Pat recalls. “It was moving to me that in some way the musicians of my generation were becoming another link in the chain of what church music had always been, and at the same time, we were doing something new. I grew up in a Baptist church and appreciated my upbringing. Indeed I’d found my faith there, but I’d never felt particularly ‘churchy,’ and part of the reason our group existed was that the language of the church didn’t always connect with us as young people. We wanted to create something of our own.  Today’s young musicians might not realize what an uphill battle that was. In those days drums or guitars in church were controversial. Even moving a pulpit so you’d have room to set up on a church platform could spark a confrontation with church leadership. We walked an uncomfortable line between being members of the body of Christ and rebels that threatened the conventions of the church. I didn’t like feeling like an outsider in a body that Christ said He loved and wanted to contribute in a more meaningful way to worship as it was expressed in that era. Enduring Love allowed me that opportunity. I was privileged to hear it arranged as an octavo and done in churches around the country, and it remains a special song for me. I play it today sitting at my piano, in more private moments.” 






Heaven Ain’t All There Is was recorded in Marietta, Georgia and was mixed by Sonny Lallerstedt and Bill Vermillion in Orlando, Florida at Bee Jay Studios

“If my memory serves me correctly, Bee Jay was the studio where the Full Sail University had its beginnings and lots of future recordists got their start there,” Pat remembers. “We also cut string tracks at Bee Jay, as that was the one thing we couldn’t do at the Twelve Oaks garage.” 

Pat Terry played guitars and some keyboards on the album; Sonny contributed guitars and drums, while Randy Bugg played bass. The group had a little extra help from keyboardist Tony Shannon and percussionist Jim Hunter. Pat contributed most of the vocals, while Sonny and Stan Ruffin helped out with background harmonies. Strings were arranged and conducted by George Atwell. 

The Pat Terry Group would release one more album together – Final Vinyl – in 1980. Meanwhile, Pat became increasingly uncomfortable with certain aspects of the growing Contemporary Christian Music industry. He felt as though his personal faith had become a commodity that was being marketed, bought and sold. He has said that looking back, commercial concerns negatively colored not only the music itself but the churches that embraced it. Pat also felt somewhat “hemmed in” by the boundaries or confines of what CCM had become. He wanted to write and sing about a wider range of material. So the group disbanded, and Pat recorded three solo albums of more rock-oriented material with the late Mark Heard producing.


After that, he was done with the CCM machine. He’s enjoyed a successful career as a country songwriter for many years, commuting from North Georgia to Nashville. Pat Terry still travels, playing churches and other traditional music venues, as well as playing “house concerts.” These concerts usually contain a variety of songs ranging from very early PTG stuff to material from his most recent solo album, Laugh for a Million Years 


Sonny Lallerstedt, Pat Terry and Randy Bugg today
  
The Pat Terry Group in a 2010 reunion show

When asked for his assessment of Heaven Ain’t All There Is, Pat Terry gives it more than a passing grade. “All in all, I still like this album,” he said. “In these tracks, I hear me turning a corner in my faith and my music.  I’m thankful to God for the gift of these songs, and don’t blame Him for the ones that might seem a little naive or, yes I admit it, a bit dorky.  I take full responsibility for those. Just don’t ask me to sing Feet anymore!”

14 comments:

  1. "Walk It On Your Own" was the very first Christian song I ever heard. I had not discovered CCM yet. I was flipping through the radio dial looking for something different to listen to, when I stumbled on this song that obviously had Christian words but a contemporary rock-style song. It was "Walk It On Your Own," though it would be a few more years before I would discover it was by the Pat Terry Group, when I bought their album "Heaven Ain't All There Is." By the time I discovered PTG they had already disbanded and Pat was making his solo albums. At the time I didn't recognize how "Heaven Ain't All There Is" represented a shift in the band's outlook, because I hadn't yet listened to all their material or processed it chronologically. I also had only a vague understanding of how much Pat's solo material departed from his work with the PTG. Those realizations would come later. I like the early PTG material and was a bit dismayed that Pat moved away from that focus and style. In hindsight, it's interesting (and sometimes a bit disappointing) to see how many of the early Jesus music artists later seemed to move away from the fire, zeal, simplicity, and devotion of their early faith. But I guess no one stays the same way forever. We all grow and change as our faith is tested by the challenges we experience in life. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan: cool story on "Walk It On Your Own!" As for Pat's change in direction...you know, the more artists I talk to and the more I think about it, there really was an overall shift taking place in "the industry" in general back around the turn of the decade that most of us were not aware of at the time. It basically happened as Jesus Music gave way to CCM. I don't think it was a matter of the artists themselves losing their zeal or devotion, it was more a matter of them pushing back against the commercialization of something that was a really pure expression for them. Terry Clark has told me personally about going in to whomever was in charge of Good News Records in 1980 and telling them he wanted to be released from his contract, and did not want to record that third album they wanted from him. Chuck Girard's last Jesus Music-oriented album came out in '79. That's about the same time Keith Green asked to be let out of his Sparrow deal. Nancy Honeytree talks about how things changed for her around that same time. Pat has maintained that his Christian faith has never been in question; he just chose to make a living writing secular music instead of having his faith marketed, bought and sold by suits and ties in Nashville and Waco. You know?

      Delete
    2. That does make sense now that you mention it. It would be interesting for someone to write an article or a book about that.

      Delete
    3. On the other hand (just to play devil's advocate)...if it's OK to make a living writing country music, why is it wrong to make a living writing faith-based music?

      Delete
  2. A friend and I heard about this reunion concert and tried to get there but couldn't put it together. We live about 11 hours away. We have loved the Pat Terry Group since the early 70's. Best melodies, lyrics and album covers EVER! I hope they do a reunion tour! Was there a recording of this reunion? That would be a treasure to hear, or see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott & Becki...I really don't know if that concert was recorded or videotaped. I doubt it, since I've never heard anything about it, and no clips have ever turned up on YouTube or anything. Pat Terry could answer that. He's on Facebook. But I'm with you...loved the PTG's melodies and lyrics. I'm pretty sure more of their albums will turn up on this list before it's all said and done. :)

      Delete
  3. Pat seems kind of reticent about his early Jesus music, but I think it's great (including Feet ;-) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. He often seems almost apologetic about some of the PTG stuff, and I don't think there's any need to be. At all. Their music was LOVED by so many people...it was a source of spiritual encouragement to many...and they were role models to southern kids like me who lived 3,000 miles away from Costa Mesa. It would be nice if Pat would stop apologizing and just embrace the positive aspects of the PTG legacy.

      Delete
  4. I've been enjoying reading your blog and list of important CCM albums from the 1970's. I don't always agree completely but am so grateful for the reminder of the beauty of Jesus in the music of that era. Pat Terry played a critical role in my early walk with Jesus and my developing love for song writing. I was fortunate to see the PTG a couple of times in the 70's and have written those songs on my heart. I drove through the Smyrna area about 8 years ago and called up Randy Bugg and told him how much their music had inspired me. While the PTG was most known in the SouthEast I still think that Pat's music was some of the best of those days ( and Sonny's guitar playing was superb and inspired me to play better ). God brings different seasons into our lives and I don't second guess Pat's move to secular music. I'm simply grateful for the many heartfelt tunes that he wrote which moved me closer to Jesus. ( Scott, as a side note, I'm one of those "Obama loving liberals", but I still love Jesus. Politics aside I am grateful for all of my brothers in Christ. Blessings. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you regarding the PTG. Huge influence on my brothers and me as we were growing up.

      Hey...I don't remember ever mentioning Obama on any of these posts! Did I? I can't imagine that I did. Oh, well. My thinking is that people of good character and conscience can have honest disagreements on things like taxes, spending allocation, and a hundred other things. But when we redefine marriage and family in order to accommodate immorality, or take the life of an unborn child, that's where I draw the line as a Christian.

      Thanks for dropping in on the blog and I really am glad that you got something positive out of it.

      Delete
  5. I am a long time PTG fan, saw them in concert in Tampa maybe around 198-. I keep his album liner from "Heaven Ain't All There Is" in my piano bench, and to this day, will pull it out and play a song or two, "Enduring Love", "Alone at Last", "Reason..." especially. Glad to find other PTG lovers. I wrote to Pat back in 2009 and got a nice reply back, but agree, he seemed to not want to talk about those days. I hope he is happy with life. He may be surprised to find out how many of us are out there and can mark our spiritual journey because of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memories. Again, I totally agree - Pat should just recognize and realize the tremendous positive impact that the PTG had on people...and just embrace it!

      Delete
  6. Wow...I was looking for the lyrics to 'Walk It On Your Own' and found this great page. Thanks!

    A little 'insider' story on this album. I have known the PTG since the early days. Pat and Sonny played in my wedding and Pat and his wife Pam are the godparents to our second daughter.

    My graduation gift for high school was a new Fender Stratocaster. At the time, I lived in Perry, Georgia so, because I was just 18 and had never driven by myself to Atlanta, I took a Greyhound bus to Marietta to spend the weekend with Sonny and his wife Becky so Sonny could go with me to find my Strat.

    At ‘Wallace Reed Music’(Tucker, GA) we found a wonderful 'blonde' Stratocaster…which means it was barely 'off white' but you could still see the wood grain. Sonny LOVED that guitar and you can hear it on this album on 'Walk It On Your Own' and 'Written In The Book Of Life'

    I went to The University of Georgia and while moving between apartments, someone stole it and an acoustic guitar as well.

    Sonny went with me to get the replacement Strat, which I used to play in a band in Athens during the wonderful 'Athens Music' era and still have to this day.

    Thanks for the great post about 'Heaven Ain't All There Is' and the Pat Terry Group. Good times!

    ReplyDelete