Thursday, February 22, 2018

A CONCERT REVIEW: RANDY STONEHILL

*I recently realized that this concert review was posted on Facebook but never made it to this blog (where it belongs). Time to rectify that...

Randy Stonehill
Upcountry Church, Travelers Rest, SC • 4-6-14

Another enjoyable evening with one of the finest singer/songwriters around. The small church was filled with almost 80 people. Lit candles created a nice ambiance in the Sanctuary. All of the usual elements that make a Randy Stonehill concert special were present tonight: amazing guitar skills, vocals that defy the man's age, poignant stories-behind-the-songs, much laughter and even a few tears.


Every time I hear Randy play live I'm always reminded that he's an underrated guitarist. Unlike some of his contemporaries, Randy still has a voice that sounds just as good as it did in the 1970s.

And his leg kick is almost as high as it ever was.

I laughed at his Keith Richards impersonation and some new "jokes" that I'd never heard before. And my eyes got more than a little misty on 3 or 4 occasions during the concert. And I had company. Toward the end of the tribute to Billy Graham, a song called "Billy Frank," just as I was reaching up to remove my glasses and wipe a tear, I noticed an older gentleman seated right in front of me doing exactly the same thing.

My only complaint would be that it's probably time to retire "Shut De Do" from the old setlist. I've heard that one enough times to last me the rest of my life.


Speaking of the setlist, here it is:
Irresistible Future
Bones
Your Love Broke Thru
Life is Tough, God is Good
Rachel Delevorias
A Promise Made is a Promise Kept
Switzerland
Shut De Do
Spirit Walk
Billy Frank
Finish Well
King of Hearts
I Love You




The quote of the evening, for me, was this gem from Randy: 
"The purest form of worship is obedience. We worship not just with our lips, but with our lives." 
Amen to that. 
I left feeling very thankful to have been impacted by this man and his music since my teenage days in the mid-70s...thankful to the Lord for calling Randy Stonehill and for the gift that Randy has been to so many people over the years.


4 comments:

  1. 3 1/2 years later, in Red Wing, MN, all the guitar, vocal, and physical skills were still quite evident. Part of me is still incredulous at how this man who was so foundational in creating music that sounded like "today" but had an eternal message, was giving his all for an audience of, maybe, 40. He and his wife, Leslie, call themselves Gypsies for Jesus, and it's pretty accurate. They go where He opens doors and spread Truth, no matter the personal sacrifice or lack of acclaim. Randy still has the chops that should be filling auditoriums, but he's never been in it for the money...hallelujah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and amen to everything you said. He doesn't attract large crowds, but he sure stays busy. And another thing I've noticed is that he doesn't alienate people through politics and personal opinions on social media (he's a better man than me in that regard). Which is smart. Why make half of your potential audience angry? He just posts Scripture on Facebook. Can't go wrong there.

      Delete
    2. I've noticed that as well. Pretty good choices by a guy who also knows how to bring on the silliness

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete