Friday, February 7, 2014

Welcome!


Hello, and welcome to my blog of the 100 Greatest CCM Albums of the ‘70s. This will be a sizeable undertaking that will require a ton of research. It will be a labor of love.







A little about me: I grew up in a pastor’s home, listening to southern gospel music as a kid. One day at a friend’s house, I heard my first Imperials album (Imperials Live – 1973), and everything changed. From there, it was on to Andrae Crouch, the 2nd Chapter of Acts, and Larry Norman. Our family hit the road in full-time evangelistic ministry, and my brothers and I formed a band. 







For several years, we were basically a cover band, playing popular Jesus Music and Christian Rock songs from our favorite artists in “youth concerts” and in our family’s crusades. We did a lot of Dallas Holm and Pat Terry songs before we began to write our own songs. I later ended up with a full-time air shift at one of America’s very first full-time Christian Rock radio stations (WEAB in Greer, SC – “The Rock of the ‘80s!”). Then, for 15 years, I hosted and produced “Rock of Ages” on Rock 101, WROQ in Greenville, SC. 





It was a weekly Christian Rock radio show, giving voice to artists like Phil Keaggy, Petra, DeGarmo & Key, Resurrection Band and so many more on a 100,000-watt secular, classic rock station. I’ve played the Cornerstone Festival (with Sunday Blue) and played and sang on 2 releases by my younger brother’s band, My Friend Stephanie. So, as you can tell, what came to be known as CCM – contemporary Christian music -- has been more than a hobby for me; it’s been a life-long love.


Jerry Bryant

There are two men who have influenced my decision to undertake this blog. Awhile back I came across a blog of the “500 Greatest CCM Albums in History” by Dave Lowan. Great list, MONSTROUS undertaking, fun reading. I don’t agree with all of his rankings, but that’s what makes lists like these fun, right? Then I stumbled across a classic Jesus Music radio show on iTunes – Full Circle with Jerry Bryant. Jerry was himself a participant in the early Jesus Music scene – as host of the early classic radio show Jesus Solid Rock and later as a pastor at Keith Green’s Last Days Ministries. I’ve been working my way through the archives of Jerry’s Full Circle show (which features tons of Jesus Music classics and current interviews with a lot of the early artists), and LOVING every minute of it. It’s almost made me want to resurrect my own show (“Rock of Ages”). But…the next best thing would be a blog that would not only rank the best records from my favorite decade (the 1970s), but would also give me a chance to share memories and experiences and would serve as a historical document of sorts. We’re all getting older, a lot of these classic albums are out of print, and there’s a need for the stories and songs that accompany these great records to be talked about and passed on to future generations. Jesus Music, Jesus Rock, CCM, Christian Rock…whatever you prefer to call it, it has been and continues to be a source of daily encouragement to me. Not only do I enjoy some incredible musical offerings from a wide range of amazingly talented artists, but I also receive wisdom and spiritual guidance from the music. 




I’m exhorted by Keith Green…I rock out with Sweet Comfort Band…I laugh with Randy Stonehill, cry with Bob Bennett, and worship with Terry Clark and Kelly Willard. Christendom (and Christian radio in particular) has done a pitiful job of honoring the pioneers who paved the way. This blog will do just that. So…thanks, Dave and Jerry!

Finally, a word about criteria. This list is going to be very subjective. An album’s historical significance will be taken into account, as will the artist’s talent, musical performance, and (where applicable) songwriting skills. But my own personal likes/dislikes and memories will also color the rankings. PLEASE feel free to comment on the posts. Tell me where I’m right, where I’m wrong…tell us about your own memories and experiences relating to a certain album. Tell me where YOU would rank the records on YOUR list. That type of interaction makes lists like these vibrant and exciting.

So, here we go. I’ll begin with #100 and work my way down to #1, and then a list of the Honorable Mention albums. Let’s begin, shall we?  

11 comments:

  1. Hello Scott .. Thanks for giving this a go .. It is my favorite decade and I am looking so much into following it. Persevere and move at your own pace so you don't burn out ! It is interesting that I found the Lord and Jesus Music in Spartanburg and Greenville back in the 70's. As a Canadian, I ended back in Canada but took my passion back with me. With the use of internet including Jerry Bryant and others (CCM History of Christian Music with Jon Rivers), I've also discovered so many other groups and artists from that era. The best to you and the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan, for the encouraging words. Interesting that you once lived here in SC. My family and I spent a couple of weeks in British Columbia in 1980. Anyway, thanks again and hope you enjoy the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. Wish there was a "Like" button!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, Scott! So honored to be in the family. Terry Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You betcha! Hey...be on the lookout for an email or a Facebook message from me when it's time for me to write about "Welcome." I want some input from the artist himself on that one! Love y'all. Hope to see you this year.

      Delete
  5. Imperials' Live album was MY introduction to "Jesus Music", too. I sat and listened to that over and over, wearing huge, make-your-ears-sweat headphones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As did I! They were Koss headphones as I recall. Got them for Christmas. One of the best Christmas gifts ever.

      Delete
  6. I just wanted to thank you for "Your labor of Love." I was born in 1978 and was raised listening to this music all my life. You blog has been a relief from this crazy world. Using your blog as a source for treasure hunting. Thank you, again

    Daniel From Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the kind words and may you have great success as you track down those treasures.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your blog. Becoming a Christian in 1977, i was in desperate search of music I liked. Church folks were saying rock n roll was of the devil, but I liked rock n roll. A guy at church saw me at the church bookstore and asked, what ya look for? Anything rock I said. Well he introduce me to a lot of artist that are represented in this blog. Anyway thank you for keeping the history and the subculture alive.

      Delete
    3. THANKS for sharing your story! And thank you for the kind remarks.

      Delete